Hey-oh, happy Monday! I hope your weekend was lovely. I traveled to Chicago to visit family. My husband’s parents are both from Chicago, so we were able to see both sides. It was wonderful! We also got to eat some delicious, Chicago-famous food!
Sausage deep dish from Gino’s East
Chicago beef from Russell’s Barbecue
Both were so so so so so so SO good! I told my husband that as soon as he’s ready to move back to Chicago, I’m in! I know Mpls has a great food scene, but in my book, Chicago always wins!
Even though the Mexican Chicken Alfredo dish I made last week didn’t hold a candle to Gino’s or Russell’s, it was still quite good! I wanted to make a big ol’ pan of something that we could eat throughout the week, and this did the trick. This is another great Pinterest find.
Note that I cut this recipe in half and only made one casserole. I used a 9×13 pan, and it worked perfectly.
Mexican Chicken Alfredo
From Taste of Home
1 package (16 ounces) gemelli or spiral pasta
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 jars (15 ounces each) Alfredo sauce
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus more for topping
1 cup medium salsa
1/4 cup 2% milk
2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken, onion, salt and pepper in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in Alfredo sauce; bring to a boil. Stir in the cheese, salsa, milk and taco seasoning.
- Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Divide between two greased 8-in. square baking dishes.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Look at that bubbly cheese! This casserole was great! It was rich, creamy and a bit spicy. Make this!