One of my favorite things about summer in Minnesota is the Farmer’s Market. The smells, the people, the colors, the (cheap) prices – I love it all. Some of the best deals can be found on herbs. I bought a GIANT bundle of basil for $1! The friend who was with me instinctively asked, “Are you going to make pesto?” And sure, pesto is a delicious and obvious choice for a bunch of basil (and let’s be honest, I did also make pesto!), but I had an even grander plan for this bunch. Savory caprese bread! This quick bread is loaded with fresh basil, sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella, and it’s a breeze to make!
(Recipe from Will Cook for Smiles)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease an 8×4 inch bread pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Add the basil, mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes to the flour and mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and buttermilk.
- Pour the liquids into the flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are well combined. (The dough will be sticky.)
- Transfer the dough into the bread pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes (until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.)