Lighter Southwest Eggrolls (or wontons!)
Today’s recipe doesn’t come from a blog or a website or even a cookbook. It comes from me. This is the first time I’ve ever “created” a recipe for the blog. Sure, I’ve made plenty of “cook whatever’s in the cupboard” meals, but this is the first time I’ve actually taken notes while I cooked, and I’m so excited with the outcome!
Behold! Lighter Southwest Eggrolls!
Or, if you prefer, wontons!
I preferred the eggrolls because there was more cheesy filling to enjoy, plus they were easier to roll up.
Lighter Southwest Eggrolls
20 wonton wrappers
9 oz of boneless, skinless chicken breast (I used tenders)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried parsley
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup fat-free shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup corn
4 oz can diced green chiles
vegetable oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Season chicken breast with chili powder, cumin, salt, parsley and cayenne pepper. Saute chicken in a skillet coated with cooking spray over medium high heat until the chicken is done. Dice the chicken.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine chicken, cheese, corn and green chiles. Stir until well combined.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- For eggrolls, take two wonton wrappers and lay then next to each other, overlapping them.
- Place about a tablespoon of filling across the center of the wonton wrappers. Lightly wet all edges of the wonton wrappers with water (just dip your finger in a small bowl of water). Fold the sides in and roll up like a burrito. Place the eggroll on the cookie sheet and spray the top with cooking spray. Repeat until all wrappers are gone. This will make ten eggrolls
- If you want to do the wontons instead, just use one wonton wrapper and fill with a teaspoon of filling. Wet the edges. Fold in half and pinch the wonton on all sides. Place on cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Bake the eggrolls until crispy, flipping over half way through. For me this took 16 minutes. Just keep an eye on them.
- The wontons only take about 8-10 minutes.
- Let eggrolls/wontons cool for a few minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and sliced scallions.
Yields 10 eggrolls or 20 wontons. Serving size is 2 eggrolls or 4 wontons. 5 Points Plus per serving.